Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Week 5, Thing #11, Award Winners & Nings

I decided to explore Library Thing since it is a site that I have heard about but haven't used yet. I like the idea of being able to catalog my home book collection. We have been talking about it because we do have quite a few books (occupational hazard, right?)! I guess the information from Amazon is accurate enough. I would have to play with it more to be sure.

As far as work applications go, I can see using this site to help generate displays in the library. I see some people have figured out how to get images of book covers onto their blogs. Do they use the pictures from this site? The site seems easy to navigate and contains lots of useful information.

I am less convinced about the social networking part of the site. I can see the appeal for some people, but I am not much of one for sharing my thoughts on books. I know that sounds funny, coming from someone who is always talking books and trying to convince kids to read. I can see how this site facilitates those kinds of activities. Speaking on a purely personal level, though, I have to admit that I don't really even like book clubs. I guess I just like processing what I've read privately. There are people, including kids, who draw meaning from these kinds of exchanges. This site allows both personal exchanges and the chance to network with others who have common interests, so I can see using something like this in the library to reach those users.

I looked at Nings, but didn't join one. I guess I feel like I am already on information overload and don't need another forum to deal with right now. It is good to know it is there for later, though.

No comments: