Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Week 5, thing #12, Rollyo

I used Rollyo to create a list of websites called Saturday Adventures. I included the sites I usually use to come up with outdoor activities to do on weekends. At first, I was confused because I expected the tool to just make a list of my websites, much like I do on my library website. But his tool is actually about creating a search engine to look through those sites for specific information. What I learned is that you want to be very speicific about the sites you include on your list. Sites like "National Park Service" will yield way too many results if you are only interested in things to do in the Bay Area.

I can see this tool being useful for teachers who want kids to only use specific sites to search for information. Again, you would have to test it out once you have created a list to make sure the results are not too narrow or too broad.

The link to my search engine "My Saturday Adventures" is http://rollyo.com/christobel04/my_saturday_adventures/

2 comments:

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

Christobel,
LOVE "My Saturday Adventures." Will you share it beyond your school and your CSLA 2.0 teammates? How about California AAA? Think about how it can be used as part of a project for 2008 Good Ideas.

Since you are in the holiday spirit, you might want to check out "Gift Guide for Library Lovers" -- see Advocate4Libraries.blogspot.com. If you have sites to recommend, please post them to that blog.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Best wishes.
- JackieS
CSLA 2.0 Team project manager

christobel said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I will check out the gift guide blog. I will have to think about what to do with the "Saturday Adventures" collection.